Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 1 - March 3: On our way



I am wearing my pilgrim clothes, my wife insisted on taking my picture.  In my defense I will say that I have a technical shirt that weights almost nothing and dries in less than 2 hours.  As for the shoes,  same thing, they are ultralights, New Balance Minimum, that weight just under 400 grams.  I will use them for after the daily walks. What a difference from what the pilgrims wore traditionally in el Camino de Santiago.  We are spoiled. 

Last weekk, after the stay in the hospital, of course, I came home to find myself with a whopper of a cold that immediately I passed to Brenda.   We are better but we decided that we will re-evaluate tomorrow night.  If we are not well enough we will stay in Pamplona a day or two until we feel we are ready.

Last night all five of our sons either came to visit or called to wish us well in our pilgrimage.  That was really nice of all of them.  We are going to miss them and even more so our five grandchildren.

It will be so nice to be in Pamplona, just like summer.  The temperature here, right now is -18C, in Pamplona 11C.  Hard to believe that we are going to be 29 degrees Celsius warmer tomorrow evening.

In any case, we are all packed, I think we packed and re-packed 20 times in the last couple of weeks.  We will be at the airport in a few hours.  We fly this afternoon to Frankfurt and arrive at 8 am tomorrow, then on to Madrid where we should arrive around noon.  There are buses at Madrid Barajas airport that we can take to go to Pamplona. and we should be there around 7 pm tomorrow.  Just in time for a dinner of pintxos.

No comments:

Post a Comment