Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 6 - Zubiri to Pamplona


742 km to Santiago de Compostela

It is 1am and I am up.  My sleep patterns are all messed up. Write is something I can do. So a bit of history from this region, Navarra, Basque Country, land of my ancestors.
In the VIII century Charlemagne broght his mighty army into Spain to fight the Moors.  In his way back to France, not wanting to leave a fortified city at his back, he destroyed the walls of Pamplona.  The Basques were furious.  Charlemagne had placed Roland, the paladin, the one of the legend, in charge of his rear guard army.  As Roland's Franks started the ascent to the Pyrenees, the Basques using guerilla tactics attacked. the Franks were better armed and organised but the Basques knew the land and with lighter arms could move faster here, in their own mountains.  Yesterday we crossed Roland's Pass, it is said that  it is there that Roland tried to get help from Charlemagne for the last time.  The Basques were relentless. When Roland's army arrived to Roncesvalles, the Basques did their final attack.  The Franks were brutally massacred. Roland and most of his knights lost their lives.  The Basques disappeared in the mountains.  One hundred years later the legend of Roland appeared in France.  The lesson of the story: do not anger a Basque.

I don't know how deep we will get into Pamplona but the objective today is to get at least to the suburbs.  Leaving Zubiri we cross el Puente de la Rabia, the rabies bridge.  It is a mediaeval bridge, it is said that if you lead an animal three times around the central arch, it will be cured of rabies. 5 km from here we arrive to Larrasoaña it will have taken us 3 days to complete the first stage according to the pilgrim's guide.
 
It took us 3 hours to get to Larrasoaña, according to pedometer 7 km.  I was not doing well, I needed to rest very often.  Finally, with 1 KLM to go, I got up after a rest and proceeded to pass out in my GF arms.  I don't know how we made it to the town.  By then I knew I could not walk anymore so we called a cab and ask to be taken to a hotel in Pamplona. 
We were already in Pamplona when I got sick and passed out again so the taxi took to an ER.  It is amazing how fast they got me in, they did all kind of tests very fast.  The doctor said that the problem was simply extreme fatigue.  They put an IV to raise my blood pressure and kept me in bed for a while.  I am impressed with the Spanish health services.
So now, I am in bed in the hotel.  I guess I am going to spend a day or two here. 
We realised our objective of getting to Pamplona today but not the way I was expecting.
Superman I am no more.

Santiago, friend of Jesus, guide us, protect us in your Camino, and help accept whatever happens.  Pray for us

 

No comments:

Post a Comment