Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 5 - Biskarreta to Zubiri

752 km to Santiago de Compostela

It is 4:30 am and I am awake. My hip muscles  still hurt from yesterday but I feel so much better. I think I am still convalescing from my stay in hospital but I hope i am getting stronger every day.  My extreme fatigue from the last few days, I am sure, was caused by jet lag and lack of sleep. Since we arrived to Biskarret I have slept  8 or 9 hours. I feel better. 
Today we are walking only 10 km.  I need to get used to the 9 kg back pack.  Brenda has watched over me with lots of love and patience.  I could not do this without her. She is doing much better than me.  The physical problems we have are from the way down the hill. She has a sore knee and I have a sore toe. 
From here to Zubiri there is another, longer, steep down hill, we will go down over 800 metres in about 4 km; we will have to take  it very slow.  There are always more injuries going down than going up.

I will add an update tonight.

We made it to Zubiri. 10 km in 5 hours. Beautiful views of the mountains, sunny day, perfect to admire the wonderful world God gave us. But boy!  I really suffered the climb to the Alto de Erro.  Felipe, who went on to St. Jean yesterday,  caught up with us for a little while. I would not be surprised if he is in Pamplona by now.
In the way down to Zubiri we met two other pilgrims one from Texas and the other one from Scotland.  We are famous, they recognised us.  They have read my entries on the Pilgrims Forum. We just saw them again in front of the albergue.

My tummy is upset so I did not have lunch but I has a soup a few minutes ago. Brenda is going to Mass but I am beat,  I am going to bed.

Tomorrow we start going towards Pamplona. It is amazing, the bus took one hour, tomorrow is our 3rd day and we probably won't make it that far.

St Therese de Lisieux, I admire your holiness thru daily little things.  Those little things can be so hard.  In el Camino there are lots of opportunities.  Teach us your ways to holiness. Pray for us

2 comments:

  1. Quite the journey!! We are all cheering you on from Canada!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you two are so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete