Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day 27 - Villadangos del Paramo to Astorga

295 km to Santiago de Compostela

I woke up in the middle of the night with the room spinning; vertigo!
I realised that as long as I did not move I was fine.  So that was the rest of the night.  In the morning I managed my routine and even to go for breakfast. 
After that things got worse.  I got the nausea that accompanies vertigo.  By then we knew that walking would be impossible.  We knew that even the hotel was closing at that little village for the weekend so we had to move.

With a lot of trouble we made it to the bus, not a pleasant trip, and to Astorga. We found a nice hotel and I have been seating on a comfortable chair and sleeping most of the time.  Every time I move I get dizzy and lying down is impossible.  We are going to try to wait it out.

Later, I kept getting sick every time I moved so finally I agreed to go to emergency.  As in Pamplona, the doctor and the nurses were very kind.  After all kinds of checkups the doctor confirmed severe vertigo. They gave me medications intravenously and by injection and sent me back to the hotel to rest. It looks like we will be camping here for 2 or 3 days.

Our Lady o Guadalupe, Mary, my mother, as usual when I am in trouble I come to you.  I accept this illness as part of my Camino, please help me to complete the pilgrimage.  Pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment