Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 3 - to Roncesvalles

About 760 km to Santiago
Last night I woke up at 3 am, the wife, God bless her slept like a baby until I woke her up at 6:30 am. We skipped mass, we wanted to go to the pilgrims mass in Roncesvalles.
We played the tourist.  We went to the museum on Navarra, very interesting.  Then we went to a department store called el corte ingles where I got a sim card for my phone, so now I have a Spanish phone. We ate some very fancy pintxos and we went to the cathedral of Santa Maria and its museum.
In one of those walks we met some German and Italian pilgrims who told that the Napoleon pass, from St.Jean to Roncesvalles is closed because there is too much snow and it is dangerous.
By then I was not feeling vary well, really exhausted, so we went back to the hotel and they let me rest, really sleep, in the living room.
At 6 pm we took  bus to Roncesvalles.  We met several friendly pilgrims.  Adriane, a young gal from Nova Scotia, Luis from Navarra, Peter from NY, and later on Sue Yong from Korea and Felipe from Galicia.  Our bedroom at the albergue  has bunk beds for 18 people. We are on top of each other.  I don't know how we are going to sleep.  There is no privacy at all but everyone is very nice.
We went to the church for the pilgrims Mass at 8 pm but the mass had been at 6  pm.  They changed it because it is Ash Wednesday.  Oh well, no ashes, no mass.
We had a pilgrims dinner, it was nice, vegetable soup, trout with fries and yogurt. By 9 pm I was in bed hoping to sleep. Lights out at 10 pm, and sweet sleep.  11 pm I am awake, I need to go to the bathroom. I do not want to wake up all this people  if I go to sleep I won't have to go so I wait... But I really really have to go. The trip is a whole adventure, go out the room quietly, into the hall and enter the other bedroom with 16 people.  The across to the end into the bathroom.  It is a common room with a sink and a urinal. There are also private little rooms two for showers and two for toilets.  This for all 34 people.
St. James protect us and help to love everyone around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment