Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 7 - Pamplona

I woke up after 14 hours of sleep.  A mandated day of rest. Still tired but feeling better.  A short walk to the cathedral of Santa Maria Real and we stayed for mass.  The cathedral is a XIV century building.  There was an older cathedral at that site but it was destroyed in the X century by the Moors. The old statue of Santa Maria Real is the central figure at the altar.  That is the same statue of our Lady in front of which for centuries the kings of Navarra made their oaths.  The mass was very ceremonious, the big organ provided the music with a classical choir.  The mass was presided by a Monsignor with 2 priests.  Very spiritual.  After lunch I am ready for a nap.
The Camino de Santiago is a small community. It seems that a lot of people know about the Canadians that are walking slowly.  I got a note from Joao from Mallorca, we met him in Zubiri, asking how I was doing. He had heard from another pilgrim that I was having troubles climbing to Roland's pass. 
It is said that pilgrims face 3 crisis.  The first one is physical, the second emotional and the last one spiritual. I am really having a physical one. Besides my problem with fatigue, there are lots of muscular pains.  The body keeps saying: what are you doing to me? Where is my chair? Where is my TV?
I think we will go on tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment