Friday, April 11, 2014

Day 40 - Portomarin to Palas de Rei

93 km to Santiago de Compostela

I woke up still a little tipsy from my vertigo.  I still have my vertigo pills from Astorga so I started taking them again.  Looking at the map we realised that there  are no towns for the first 8 km until the village of Gonzar.  After that there were hamlets or villages every 2 or 3 km.  I was concerned that I would not feel well and 8 km would take us close to 3 hours to walk
We decided to take a taxi to Gonzar and walk from there.  Perhaps one or two towns.  Just a token walk and rest the rest of the day.  Well, we walked and arriving to a village we would say, let's go for one more and one more and one more. We ended walking almost 20 km in 7 hours all the way to Palas de Rei.

The Camino is very busy now.  We saw at least three groups of Spanish teens and one of English boys.  At one of the rests we found ourselves by the school group we met at mass on Sarria.  Their priest is so young that he looks like one of the kids.  We talked with him and before he left gave us a blessing.  Later on at another break we met the man who gave me first aid.  He seem truly happy to see that I was on my feet again.

We arrived to Palas de Rei at around 3:30 pm and found a new albergue.  San Marcos, impeccably clean, Ana, the person in charge gave a very nice room and sent us out for Galician dinner.  I had caldo Gallego and Brenda had lentil soup and octopus a la Gallega.  Really nice dinner.  

In the evening we went to mass to the church of Santo Tirso.  The group of students from this morning were there too.  At the end of the mass we said good bye.  We are going to slow down so we can arrive to Santiago on Holy Thursday as we had planned.

Palas de Rei, Palace of the King, Interesting name.  There was a Visigoth king in the VIII century who had his residence here.  That is where the name comes from. 

Our Lady of Guadalupe, mother, pray for our sons and daughters, for our grandchildren and for our mothers.  Help usp complete this pilgrimage under your protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment