Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Training and waiting



Only 96 days to go.

I got obsessed with the weight of my backpack and I managed to trim one more kg.  I am down to 6 kg (without water or food).  I traded my sandals (560 grams) for ultralight shoes (New Balance minimum, 396 grams).  I traded my Columbia pants (with zippers to convert to shorts) for my one piece Merrill slacks and saved another a 160 grams.  So with a bit here and there I reduced the weight one whole kilogram.  That is almost 15%.

So we got a sunny day, a bit cool - around 0C, we loaded the backpacks and added water and food for the day bringing my pack to around 9 kg and we managed 20 Km in 5 hours.  We walked on the Hamilton to Brantford trail which is an easy trail with a gentle slope.  It was not very taxing so I think we are close to ready.  We also have to think that we are going to have to do this day after day after day.

Now that the snow is here it may get a bit more difficult to go hiking.  We may have to get the cross country skis out.

No comments:

Post a Comment